Hi :)
I think it's a good idea to post a bug-report about list-boxes only working from
tables.  They really need to work from Queries too
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport

I don't think there are any devs currently working on Base but there will be.
There is a chance of documentation catching up with the app within this small
window of opportunity.  It does need a lot of good people so it's good to see
you building the team up by encouraging other good people :)
Good luck!
Regards from
Tom :)