planas <jslozier@gmail.com> writes:

On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 10:17 +0200, Stephan Zietsman wrote:

I can't find a way to assign middle mouse to it though, sorry.

I would think using a mouse button would be OS and driver dependent. The
OS must have the correct drivers and the mouse must configured to allow
this possibly very selective use. The real problem is this use would
implemented in all software since one is reconfiguring the default
behavior of hardware not normally used for pasting. Reconfiguring the
commands on a keyboard or toolbars is much easier. Keyboards are capable
of a wide variety of key combinations and toolbars are only limited by
software design choices.

I´m not sure what you mean. Obviously, you need to get your pointing
device to work before you can use it. What a particular application does
when it receives an event like a mouse click is for the particular
application to decide.

Aren´t you using your mouse or trackball or other kind of pointing
device to copy and paste? Copy and paste works by default as I described
in previous posts ever since I started using X11 almost 20 years
ago. Before that, it worked as I described with the GUI on AIX machines
and some Sun workstation they had at the university. It works the same
on the console when you enable it, and it used to be enabled by default
in Suse and Debian until changes were made that could lead to
interferences with X-servers and gpm[1] wasn´t installed by default
anymore. IIRC, it also worked on the console of the AIX machines.

It works the same in LO. Unfortunately, it´s screwed up in LO because
the way LO does copy and paste is using an unsuitable default ("paste
everything" instead of "paste unformatted") that cannot be changed. I
really wonder what´s so difficult to understand about it.

That you cannot bind something to mouseclicks in LO would make for
another feature request. That feature shouldn´t be needed for pasting
because pasting should just work right.

[1]: see http://www.nico.schottelius.org/software/gpm/