On 2011-06-19, Steve Edmonds wrote:

On 2011-06-20 09:19, planas wrote:

From: Andrew Foss <shrisource@yahoo.ca>

I need to open a tab delimited text file in Calc.[...]

Where do you get the tab delimited file from?  Does it offer a Csv (comma
separated values) option as well?  If so then Csv is the more normal method of
transferring data.

[...] CSV files will open in Calc correctly and are the more standard
way of saving a file for a generic spreadsheet program.

Tab delimited files are quite common. they were .tsv once. I use them
for some of my exports where the data contains commas.
The commas could be in the text of text fields or if you are using a
comma as a decimal separator you probably want a .tsv file for import.
Calc handles import of text data well in my opinion, fixed width is
usefull for undelimeted text.

Please note Calc's CSV import allows you to pick tab as a separator,
thus "tab separated values" are supported, just rename the file to .csv
and then pick the right option in the "Text import" window that appears.

--
Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg