On 6/2/11 9:17 AM, Roland Hughes wrote:

Hi, Roland,

No personal insults, hits, bad vibes, etc. are intended, but here's some points you may not have considered.

While there may be a few people
in the U.S. still on dial up,

I think that depends on the "number" of people, percentage wise if you prefer, that you associate with the word "few". :-) Personally, I think there are far more people (numerically) still on dial up than many people think. My view may be a bit skewed, as I do live in an area where many people, *if* they can afford a computer, only have the dialup option.

unless they are unemployed or on a
seriously fixed income, there is no excuse for it.

You can be employed and not be able to afford it, sadly. Between the two of us, we could probably come up with at least 25 valid scenarios where the high speed option is not possible or even valid and supportable.

For around $60/month
Verizon has wireless broadband plans that let you have 5Gig of high
speed traffic each month.This is a vast improvement from the HughesNet
(formerly DirecPC) satellite service I used to pay $100/month for and
endure 100Meg/day limit.

Until about a month ago, dialup and satellite were the "only games in town".

Satellite Internet service is available world wide, even in places like
Pakistan and Afghanistan.  Wireless broadband follows the cell phone
markets.  While you may not have access to 4G speed and bandwidth, you
will have access to speeds far faster than dial up.

While it may be technologically available in Pakistan and Afghanistan (just using your examples, but I'm speaking worldwide generally), how far away is the tech to install your dish and fix your problems? :-)

When it comes to our perspective of availability, we often think of that as a percentage of the population, when we should be including the geographical component also. I have a cell phone, but rarely use it since I have no signal. So, I'm counted as part of the population that has a cell phone, but I don't have "access" to it. Do you see the difference?

Web page designers don't help either when it comes to accessing and using the internet. :-(

But, that's another topic.   :-)

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.6.7