I don't know which is CDOT in OpenSymbol (it looks like a vertically-centered dot, but it appears attached to
the "b" in the JPG and there are at least six symbols that look like it in OpenSymbol), so I
couldn't check this but ...

Do you have Lucida Sans Unicode on your installation of Writer?  It may work better to choose your
symbols from there if you can find the ones you want.  Check the Unicode that LO Writer shows for
the character in OpenSymbol and then look at other fonts to see which ones also have the symbol for
that Unicode Code Point.

Look in the Insert | Special Character ... dialog for matches in different fonts.

Not a perfect solution, but it might provide a work-around for now.

  - Dennis

PS: I looked in Symbol and it doesn't have the character you want, so font substitution won't help.
 But other fonts seem to have centered small dots.

The problem with using Unicode fonts is many people do not have one installed on their Windows computers, by default. You may have to find out what fonts they have. Do you want these people to be able to edit your document? If not, then I would use some PDF printer that embeds all the fonts you use in your document into the PDF document. I use doPDF for the Windows environment. That way, no matter what fonts I use, fancy, decorative, specialized, or just standard looking, my document will look exactly the way I want and not rely on the other person's system to substitute my fonts for what they might have.

I tend to use Arial Unicode more often than the others, when I need to have a Unicode font in my document. Sometimes I will make sure what the other people use and then install them and work with their Unicode fonts. If they do not have one, I send one along with my .doc or .odt files, if they need to do edits.

If I had a choice, I would create my equation in an image file and use that image instead of any text equation in the document. That way I could have more control over the look of the equation's format. The last time I had to do anything like that was several years ago, and before I even knew about OOo/LO's equation editor module.