Hallo

I repost a problem after a suggestion by Tom Davies. I'll add more
information. Sorry if it feels too long...

Task: I need to insert photos on a text document all the time. Photos arrive
to LO in their actual size,
         18x13cm but I want them per default in a smaller size, namely 8x6.
Goal: Modify the default template so that photos are loaded with desired
size and anchoring.

In OOO 3.0.0.9 I learned how to modify the graphics style and set it in a
default template so that all
inserted photos would be 8x6. The suggestions I needed can still be traced
through my username (mnatiello)
at the OOO forums. I'll describe the steps:
a. Drag in or insert a photo.
b. Right click, choose "picture", reset size and anchor as desired (8x6, "as
character").
c. Choose Format, Styles and formatting, double-click in "graphics" (which
is already selected) and click "update" in the
    scroll window to the right.
d. Go to Templates, click "save" and give it a name.
e. Templates - organize - right click on your template and choose "set as
default".

I have tested this successfully under SuSE 11.1 and OOO 3.0.0.9, I recall it
working even under OOO 3.1.

Problem: I tried this procedure on a x86-64 Dell laptop under OpenSuSE11.4
and LO 3.3.1 without success. I upgraded
              to LO 3.3.2 from LO:s download service, without success. I
even tried this on OOO 3.2 under Ubuntu 10.4
              (it is provided at my job), without success.
The symptoms: After step e. the default template is actually changed, but
1. The photo I used to prepare the style appears on new documents!
    This should NOT happen! But there is a workaround:  I delete the photo,
save the styles on a template again
    and redeclare it as default. Then the next document I open comes with
the new default style but without undesired
    photos. I can check on Formmating and Styles -> Graphics that the
default size for photos is 8x6.
2. I insert a new photo and it comes in actual size, ignoring the
specification of the style. This happens even if I don't
    correct the template as in 1, i.e., a document with a small (undesired)
photo incoming per default loads large photos
    subsequently.
Is it a bug? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help.

M. Natiello