Hi, Sigrid,

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Sigrid Carrera <
sigrid.carrera@googlemail.com> wrote:

[...]

As part of this discussion, knowledge and education, more accurately a lack
of knowledge and education, I have no idea what that represents!   :-)  If I
were to hazard a guess, I would say it's another text representation for a
smile.  Am I close?   LOL

As no one has mentioned it, I do not know if any other reader saw blue
text.  So, I have absolutely know idea if anyone other than myself sees
blue
text.

To give you some feedback: I don't see any colour formatting. But this is,
because my mailer doesn't support any HTML. Honestly, I like it this way.

And I prefer HTML.  It makes it easier when people send you an email that
has inline photos of the grandkid or something else they find interesting.

I've used email clients in the past that didn't support HTML.  To me, we
each have our preferences, which is fine as long as we recognize those
preferences, and that neither one is right or wrong.

To see, who wrote what, you use the citation marks ('>') and leave the
names mentioned above (On <date> xyz wrote) the email. So you can see
clearly, who said what.

Of this I do know.  LOL!!  I actually prefer the citation mark (or carat or
"greater than sign  LOL) over the straight line you possibly see in my
replies.  This email address from Dishmail.net is actually Gmail in
disguise, and the user does not have the option of choosing a particular
quotation style.  The only way I could use the carat would be to manually
manually edit the reply, or set up POP3/automatic forwarding to my desktop
email client.  But as of yet, I've not found a desktop client I'm happy
with, so setting something up like that is currently way down towards the
bottom of my priority list.

In addition to citation marks, I actually find color to be quicker for me to
determine who wrote what, and in which message.

That is either BBCode, or sanitized HTML. It is used only for
presentation markup. It is not required for content creation.

This is very likely BBCode. This is used to make the use of forums safer.
(You can insert malicious code into HTML, with BBCode this isn't possible.)

So, that's what BBCode is for and does.  Thanks for the information.  This
simply seems to reinforce my comments about education and knowledge.

I'm all for anything that keeps those folks at bay.  And also another reason
I prefer my Mac to my Windows computers for my personal use.  I do run
antivirus, et. al., on the Mac though.  Not because there is a huge amount
of viruses and such out there for the Mac, but because I don't want a virus
to manage to slip through my system and then I inadvertently forward the
virus or whatever on to someone else.  In the almost two years I've used the
Mac, I've only had one virus successfully make it to my Mac, and that was
from data I copied from another computer via thumb drive.  I only have a
free version of the software, and it doesn't check the data from sources
like newly inserted thumb drives.

I use only a very small set of smileys, where I know for sure what they
mean. So I personally restrict myself to :) and ;) I think, those are more
than sufficient. (At least, they are for me) ;)

Same here.  :-)  Interestingly enough, I've used some email software that
when you use this smiley, :), it doesn't know how to display it as HTML, but
if you use :-), you're OK.  I've also found the reverse, as well as the
software understanding both.

But, that doesn't do you a bit of good when someone types the smiley
"backwards", as in (-: for a smile.   LOL

Ken Springer

"All progress depends upon the unreasonable person."
George Bernard Shaw

Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for
cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country!"
President William McKinley

http://www.greeleynet.com/~wordwork/airpage.htm