On 02/03/2011 07:01 PM, Tom Browder wrote:
On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 16:17, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions
<webmaster@krackedpress.com>  wrote:
This was on the OOo list.
I decided that it may be something that could be
looked at from LibreOffice's point of view.  My answer
is something that I really would like to see as an add on
for OOo, LibreOffice, and all of its forked lines of suites.

Now it would be great to get a context grammar/spell checker.  When
of OOo [LibreOffice, or other fork].  It could be very useful as a proofing
tool for those of us that are not good at these types of things.
I second the motion.

Best,

-Tom

Thomas M. Browder, Jr.
Niceville, Florida
USA
Thanks Tom.  I am Tim from Elmira NY, the cold cold Elmira NY.
I hope one of these days there will be someone to take up the
"challenge" to create the solution that I tried to hint at with the
start of this thread here.  I am getting fed up with some of the
threads I have seen on the OOo version of this list.

There is a need for someone to work on a good content/context
checker for spelling and grammar.  Add a mini-dictionary function
to a spell checker would help with people, like me, who may not
know what the correct spelling is, even though you are given a list.
Sounding out words does not work well for me since a "normal"
spell checker will not handle that.

I use to be a mainframe programmer before Windows took over
everything and MS could do no wrong with "forcing" people to
learn how to code their way if you wanted it to look like a "Windows"
program.  People no longer wanted a non-windowed, not GUI, program
not matter how useful it was or how well it filled a need.  So I
almost gave up programming before my first stroke hit me.  I did
do some work with writing spell checking systems from specialized
word lists and codes to help with variation of these words made up
of the root and added prefixes and suffixes.  I once has a floppy of the
resulting "compete word list" that it could check against that was over
177,000 words.  I tried to re learn programming by making a standard
work checking spell checker.  I could barely do simple things like that
anymore.  I had to give up.  IF I could still program, I would try to
create a simple rules based proofer for grammar and other things
like same sounding words, or words that are not parts of speech in
that placement.  I could do that type of work back when I wrote
Accounting systems right out of college.  Now I would never try.

So I do hope some programmer with the knack of programming
and some good English skills, would take up the call for a free
proofing system.  Even a low costing one would be great.  There
is a need that is needed to be filled and there will be a lot of
students and adults that would be very pleased.  I know I would
and the students in the School district I taught in would be pleased
as well.