On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 01:44:15PM -0700, Ken Springer wrote:
Hi  , Tom,

Likewise, I used to encourage the use of open source software also.  And on
a personal level, I always try to find an open source program for my use.

And my issue is not with the software itself.  Even though my impression is
the software is sometimes slightly buggier, the problems seem to be when
using advanced functions.  And a function I don't think the average user is
likely to attempt.

It's user support where things fall flat on it's face.  I only have one
person in my family and friends who would even have a clue as to how to
utilize a mailing list.  It's way too cumbersome and clunky for the people I
know.  Even I had trouble figuring this one out!  LOL

That's hard to believe. Mailing lists are dead simple assuming the
ability to read with comprehension. You're only correct if your
definition of user support is individual personal hand holding.

There are a lot of users out there, I believe, that could make use of open
source software, but these people usually don't even understand
directories/folders, partitioning, the very basics of using a computer.
When I start to talk to them about disk cleanup and defragging (Windows),
you should see the blank faces I encounter.  :-)

Little of this is necessary to use the GUI (graphical user interface).

But surprisingly, some of them have figured out how to use forums.  Even
thought a lot of the forums have very nice editors, the fourms seem to be
lousy when it comes to instructions on how to use the editor.  The Open
Office forum editor has the /list commands, but how my average people will
know anything about using HTML commands?

What HTML commands are needed to use an editor?

I will own up to not looking for
instructions, but there's also no link to instructions that I've spotted.

Not looking for instructions is your own fault.

Searching the help info tends to be a PITA.

Using a search engine is a PITA?

If you want to see a place
where help has really gone downhill, check Microsoft!   LOL  MS is where I
always went to seek help, especially the knowledge base link.  I can't find
that link anymore.  :-(  So now my first choices are Google and Ask.com.

If M$ online support is in the toilet and you don't recommend OSS, what
do you recommend to new users? *gasp* MAC?

Again, why is using these search engines a PITA? Do you expect to find
information without expending any effort?

As a friend of mine observed years ago when MS stopped providing manuals and
introduced online help, "What good is online help if you can't get online?"
It's still a valid point today, as I still have not come in contact with a
computer user that was born with basic computer knowledge.   :-)

Do they have access to libraries?

My personal preference would be a forum that's available through both a
browser and a newsreader.  I would actually use a newsreader, as I do not
have DSL nor unlimited data download, and a browser/forum combination is a
resource hog.  :-(  And like the new Verizon vs. iPhone/ATT commercials, I
do pay more for less.

I  have LB on Mac, Vista, and XP, and will continue to use it.  But, until
help is easier to obtain online, I can't, in good conscience, recommend
using open source software in a general sense.  I will tell them about it,
but I will also tell them that accessing help is not always easy for the
average user.

So, because information isn't as easy to find as *you* think it should
be, you will discourage new users from trying OSS.

And additional observation that seems to apply to all software providers
these days, is they seem to assume, when it comes to their help files, users
are at the junior high level, and completely ignore the elementary level
users.  Not to mention many help files basically suck.  :-(  They seem to
tell you that you can do X, but don't bother to tell you how to do X.  :-)

No one seems to view their product through the eyes of a beginner or simply
new to their product.

This isn't peculiar to OSS so why mention it, unless you just want to
rant?

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279