This was on the OOo list.
I decided that it may be something that could be
looked at from LibreOffice's point of view.  My answer
is something that I really would like to see as an add on
for OOo, LibreOffice, and all of its forked lines of suites.

As someone with Dyslexia, the "solution" is in great need
for those with a "communication problem" beyond the
simple spell checking in email clients or word processors.
I know over 50 people right now who could use it.

On 02/03/2011 01:09 PM, John Bowling wrote:
> Given that Google Wave is opensource, and the source was available in 2009, why is the spelling checke in Writer still the same old dictionary based spell check?
>
> My version is 3.2.1, US, and the only words it flags of the following (from a wiki page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spell_checker) is cheque and chequer:
>
> "Eye have a spelling chequer,
> It came with my Pea Sea.
> It plane lee marks four my revue
> Miss Steaks I can knot sea.
>
> Eye strike the quays and type a whirred
> And weight four it two say
> Weather eye am write oar wrong
> It tells me straight a weigh.
>
> Eye ran this poem threw it,
> Your shore real glad two no.
> Its vary polished in its weigh.
> My chequer tolled me sew.
>
> A chequer is a bless thing,
> It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
> It helps me right all stiles of righting,
> And aides me when eye rime.
>
> Each frays come posed up on my screen
> Eye trussed too bee a joule.
> The chequer pours o'er every word
> Two cheque sum spelling rule."
>

> Obviously not at all looking at the context! Does it take multiple years to implement an interface that will let someone use a better complete module? Or is this something that must be added by the user? Given that MS word 2007 has a context level spelling checker, and schools today are not training people to spell or understand context or grammer, it should be there by default!

When I spent a few years in the early 2000's as a substitute teacher,
I found that even 5th and 6th graders were being required to type
all their homework papers, and were not allowed to be excused from
doing some overnight assignment that was to be turned in typed EVEN
if their parents did not have a computer for them to use.  Some teachers
even would not except pin-printer pages, wanting ink-jet or laser printing.
Back then, the grammar was demanded to be perfect as was the spelling.
I know a few kids that relied on their word processor to fix all their errors
and did not proof read the final results and then complained that their
computers did not tell them there was anything wrong.

I was glad I never had to sub much for an English class that taught
spelling and grammar.  Being Dyslexic does not help at all in those
areas.

Now it would be great to get a context grammar/spell checker.  When
the word is spelled correctly, it does not mean it is the right spelling
of that word or the correct word for the meaning of the sentence. I am
in much need of such a thing in my own typing needs.  I cannot get
the right/correct words typed since my spelling is so bad and my fingers
mess with the rest due to a stroke.  But when I type a correctly spelled
work [type that instead of word] and no not notice it, it can be a problem.
It would be nice to have a better spell checker than one with a list of
the "closest" words to what you typed.  I had one dictionary that I could
spell the word as I could say it and not worry about the correct spelling.
That system would give me a list of what it thought I wanted and was
never wrong.  It actually helped to have the dictionary part, and it was
one of those things from the Win95 days that had a complete unabridged
dictionary on one CD.  200,000 words or more with definitions.  It
worked with XP but not when I had to use Vista.  It would be nice for
some add on spell check, grammar, and dictionary, system to be part
of OOo [LibreOffice, or other fork].  It could be very useful as a proofing
tool for those of us that are not good at these types of things.