On 01/31/2011 04:57 PM, Andy Brown wrote:
On Mon Jan 31 2011 13:01:59 GMT-0800 (PST)  klompen wrote:
I'm an IT professional, but not a developer. My biggest hurdle in getting my organization to accept LO is that there is no mechanism (that I'm aware of) for auto deployment or auto update that can be controlled by administrators. My environment is Windows, but if I can ever move my organization to Linux
it will be an issue there as well.

Have you tried the Administrator's Guide at http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Administration_Guide . It cover a lot of what your asking for. Get a copy and see if it will meet your needs. I know it is not by the TDF or LibO but it should work.

HTH

I personally do not remember an easy way to "auto deploy" MS Office either.
I worked in the IT profession, including support, for several 50+ computer
companies.  When they wanted me to install the latest MSO, I had to do it
on every single computer 1 at a time.  The last place had over 100 using the
same whole company licence. There was not any easy way, unless the install
software was on the network and I installed it via the network, but that required
me to go to each machine as well.  That network install was at a College and
it had 5 buildings with over 200 computers.

It would be nice to get more people to move over to Linux, but for most users, they would not like it even if it looked, felt, and ran, like their old Windows
machine.

So to be honest, depending on how you want to see it, you have to install
it like you would for any other science, marketing, graphics dept, or other
software.  PLUS, mass deployment using a few keystrokes to do 20 or 100
computers never worked where I worked, even though the software "claimed"
it could be easily done.

LibreOffice is one of the easiest office packages I have installed. MSO had so
many options I had to decide on, and took almost 1/2 hour or more, the
last time I installed it on a Windows machine.  The only thing LibreO needed
was some basic "who are you" info to be filled out after the install. No "do
I want this or that" options that confuse most people I had to deal with.