Many thanks to everybody who replied to my plea for help. I'm now sorted and up and running. May I say at this point that I'm a Linux 'user'. Not a genius at IT alas but an ardent fan of the system which I use to write novels six hours a day. I have a feeling that the 'users' outnumber the 'developers, sysops and webmasters' many fold and we guys making good use of the system would be lost without the brains that drives it. So many thanks to you all.

Incidentally, this is hardly the place to raise this but it may be of interest - the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) recognised 50 years ago that there were 'users' and true engineers. They divided the engineering division into two halves. Operators who were more skilled at using the equipment, ie. Sound desks and cameras etc and true Engineers who knew not only how it worked but why it worked and how to fix it when it ground to a halt!

I fear that until Linux in general grasps the difference and appreciates it fully it will always have difficulty competing, since a certain Mister Gates spotted it and did something about it too long ago for comfort.

My thanks to all,

Garth.