Hi :)

This is a problem when opening any ".doc" or ".docX" document in any other
office suite or even just on another machine sometimes.  We have seen that MS
Office 2007 ".docX" opened in MS Office 2010 have similar problems especially
noticeable with pictures.  Sometimes opening an ".odt" created in OpenOffice or
LibreOffice also has problems in MS Office.

For my company's website i tend to send a pdf/gif of the document along with the
editable version so that people can see what i was aiming for.  "Save As ..." or
"Export to" pdf and then Gimp or other picture editing software to "Save As .."
gif, gives me the lightest weight accurate picture of the document.

Of course pdf is also proprietary and difficult for people to edit unless they
spend more money buying special software which is why i send an ".odt" or ".doc"
along with the gif.  I tried getting a few frequent collaborators to use google
apps but there were questions about privacy and confidentiality (for documents
that would later be seen on a website!).

A much more influential colleague sends her documents as ".odt" and gives an
easy download link so that people can install LibreOffice to view her documents
accurately.  This is the best route imo and one i hope to emulate.

There was some discussion about all this a couple of months ago and people said
that formatting the pictures "inline" minimised the problems.  Right-click on
the image to auto-format text to flow around the object so that even if the
image does move the document still appears to look reasonably correct.  I'm not
entirely sure what is meant by "inline" in this context.

Basically there is no solution to this and it is one of the ways those wonderful
MicroSoft people help everyone to buy their new products.

Good luck and regards from
Tom :)