On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 12:41 AM, Eclipse <eclipse-now@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
Catching passive voice and other basic grammar?

It will catch disagreement between subect and predicate, in most
cases, although sometimes erroneously,
as well as adjective and antecedent disagreements, usually.
I wouldn't expect it to catch passive voice.
I believe it allows folks to get away with mixing up
your and you're;
they're, there, their;
to, too, two;
and, it won't stop anyone from committing such atrocities as
"There's apples in the fridge".
I would consider that the most basic of grammar.
It won't correct the use of object pronouns for subjects, or
vice-versa, which is a common error.
It seems to know little or nothing of standard punctuation.
It does not recognize either, run-on sentences, or incomplete ones (fragments).
It doesn't mind dangling participles.
The vast majority of errors it will catch are so obvious as to render
it useless,
and the less obvious "errors" it catches are often not errors.
It allows, for instance, the following abomination to go uncorrected:
"Me and her went to by one horses."
I find myself frequently correcting its corrections.
Personally, I'd like to know how to disable it, while retaining
spellcheck for catching typos,
but, it seems it's an all-or-nothing affair, sadly.
http://www.stephenfry.com/2008/11/04/dont-mind-your-language%E2%80%A6/

./tony

--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com