Hello!

LibreOffice will be very useful
in collaborative text editing
if
* document in plain HTML format will be saved in the versioned storage (Subversion/CVS/…
repository) and
* with automatic merging of changes made by different people.

But now every merge operation produces at least one conflict: it's a conflict
in <meta> tags:
merge is not possible.

Furthermore, when CVS or Subversion client discovers
conflicts, it adds conflict markers like '<<<<< 1.1 .... ====== ..... >>>>>
1.2' in the conflict areas, so document could not be opened more as valid HTML,
because the HTML header is the conflict area.

I know there is a check-box named "Apply user data" in document properties (File/Properties), and
if I uncheck it before saving, <meta name="CHANGED"> isn't overwritten on every
save and my personal data isn't written into the document, but:
1) <meta name="GENERATOR"> is _still_ overwritten on every save;
2) I need to uncheck "Apply user data" every time opening the document.

I also know that there is an option "Remove personal data on save" in security
settings, but it also doesn't help: <meta name="CHANGED"> is cleared, but <meta
name="CREATED"> is always overwritten by current time (WTF???!!), and <meta
name="GENERATOR"> is also still overwritten.
So this also produces conflicts.

I suggest you to add an HTML compatibility option "Do not modify metadata when
saving" or something like that. This will be very useful for people
who want organize a convenient versioned storage for text documents.

Thanks in advance.

 Sincerely, Stas Fomin