On 01/20/2011 12:39 AM, NoOp wrote:
On 01/18/2011 06:15 PM, wlb wrote:
Hello,

I have been trying to install the Libre Office onto my computer.  I am using
Ubuntu Linux, 10.10.  I have tried several times to down load it, even one
that took hours.  I finally stopped it.  I tried to follow the instructions,
but I am not technologically literate and I tried to follow as best I could.

Libre Office was not automatically installed when I upgraded.  Open Office
was the only office program that installed.  I am hoping that you can help
me.  I would really like to try your program.  Everyone on the Linux forum
speaks so very highly of it.
Wanda, given your experience level I'd recommend (for the time being)
that you stick with what you already have installed (OOo). LibreOffice
is currently in RC (Release Candidate), meaning that it is still in the
testing phase. Wait until LO is fully released, or had someone assist you.

However, if you still wish to give LO a try (and I hesitate to advise
this if you have a dailup connection where the download takes "hours"):

1. Download the .deb package from:
http://www.libreoffice.org/download
<http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/testing/3.3.0-rc3/deb/x86_64/LibO_3.3.0rc3_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz>

2. Go to where you downloaded the .gz and right-click and select
'Extract here'. Then follow Mark&  Baldwins's instructions (and you'll
need to open the terminal to do this (Applications|Accessories|Terminal):

$ cd LibO_3.3.0rc3_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US/DEBS
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

then

$ cd desktop-integration
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

You should then find LibreOffice in Applications|Office
I have been told that Ubuntu uses Go-oo version of Openoffice.org, not
the version that you can get with downloading from OOo's web site.  I
have 10.10 myself.  The splash screen is different between what is in
Ubuntu's install and OOo's web site install.

I have both the Ubuntu install of Openoffice.org and LibreOffice RC3 installed. To be honest, I do not know what is the real difference between the 3.2.x version of Ubuntu's OOo and LibreOffice 3.3.x RC3. One thing I can tell you is that currently OOo 3.3.x is at the RC9 level, since they look like there is a bug that
they are having trouble to fix, but it also looks like RC9 may be the that
Release Candidate. Also Ubuntu stated that once LibreOffice is in full release, not a RC release, it will be added to the repository. So you may have a choice
which version you would like from their software management system.