Hi all,
       It seems one has to go through great loops in order to get
hindi/Devanagri working on Libreoffice

First up this is on Debian (testing) on a custom kernel 64-bit version.

Linux deb-home 2.6.37+ #1 SMP Tue Jan 11 23:49:18 IST 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

b. Libreoffice is the latest 3.3 RC3

LibreOffice 3.3.0
OOO330m19 (Build:5)
tag libreoffice-3.3.0.3

c. I went to IRC and got the following instructions :-
Install the hindi dictionary from openoffice.org extension

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/dict-hi
and specifically downloaded this :-

http://ftp.services.openoffice.org/pub/OpenOffice.org/contrib/dictionaries/hi_IN.zip

Then as per instructions installed it using Tools > Extension Manager .

It shows up as just hi-IN.zip

1. Then also went to Tools > Options.

In Languages they are set as the following :-

a. User Interface :- English
b. Locale Setting :- English, did it to Hindi as well but no change.
c.  Default currency :- changed to INR

d. Default Languages for documents :-
Western :-  Default English (India)
Asian :- None (greyed out)
CTL -  Default - Hindi

e. In Enhanced Language support
CTL is checked and not Asian Languages

2. In Writing Aids I could not find Hindi in the available Language
Modules there.

3. In Libreoffice writer basic fonts put up Ubuntu font everywhere.

Still in a fix how to get hindi writing hindi going.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल