On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 9:33 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 6:15 PM, wlb <wlbates@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I have been trying to install the Libre Office onto my computer.  I am using
Ubuntu Linux, 10.10.
...CLIPPAGE...
 Everyone on the Linux forum
speaks so very highly of it.

LibreOffice is still in beta test, so you won't get it as an automatic
anything yet.

You have to download the .deb gzipped-tar file, uncompress it and then
run the installation directly.  Just be sure you have the right
version: Linux x86 or x64 (deb) and pick your language.  x86 is for
32-bit systems, x64 for 64-bit (of course).

tar xzf <the file you downloaded>, cd into the newly created LibO_*
directory, then cd into the DEBS directory, run 'sudo dpkg -i *.deb",
then cd into the desktop-integration directory and run the same dpkg
command again.

That's it.

That probably sounds like Chinese to our new friend here, who is
clearly new to the gnu/linux world.

Wanda,
Most likely, you need this file:
http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/testing/3.3.0-rc3/deb/x86/LibO_3.3.0rc3_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz
(unless you have a 64 bit system, which is possible but unlikely, in
which case you would want this file:
http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/testing/3.3.0-rc3/deb/x86_64/LibO_3.3.0rc3_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz
This second is ONLY for 64bit, such as an Athlon processor, or such).

Download it somewhere in your /home directory.
Open your filebrowser, likely Nautilus, by default in Ubuntu, I
believe, find and right-click on the file.
Choose "extract" from the menu that pops up.
You will then have a new directory/folder such as
 LibO_3.3.0rc2_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US (or similar)
click into there, and you will find another directory called
DEBS
Click into there.
Now, you're going to have to right click and choose "Open in terminal".
A command prompt terminal will appear.
That is when you enter the command
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
(you will have to enter your password)
Then you'll see a lot of text whiz by, and with any luck in a moment or two
you'll have LibreOffice installed.
Once all that text is done whizzing by, check for any error messages.
If there are any, copy them  to an e-mail and send them to the list.
Otherwise, no errors, you should find that LibreOffice is installed.
You can close the command line terminal and enjoy your shiny new
office suite.

(c'mon guys...I don't use ubuntu or gnome, but I could explain that
easily enough
for a n00buntu-er, and it took all of 2 minutes).

./tony
--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
http://www.baldwinsoftware.com