For a very long time, the U.S. Government used Word Perfect over MS Office. I was doing a lot of Gov't contract work in the 1980s and 1990s and had to convert everything to Word Perfect (or write in it). I think with Windows, they went to MS Office. Word Perfect moved from Utah to Canada sometime when Corel bought them and it does, indeed, have a loyal following here, but the one user (a writer/editor) who I help support who bemoans her loss of WP to live in an MS-centric world also is upset over the loss of Eudora for Thunderbird.

As far as title pages go, I don't even see compatibility with "fancy" graphics among installs of MS Office of the same alleged version (i.e. 2003 to 2003) on different machines or on different printers. My two boys have come up with constructs in MS Word that self-corrupt and other things. I don't think they've switched between 2003 and 2007, but perhaps. I found I could only open one document in Word 2010 that my younger son had created in 2003.

For some reason, teachers are impressed with doodads and geegaws on title pages.

I find complete compatibility between MS Word and LO or OOO when I carefully use styles and have strict adherence to straight-line text. Once I start placing images or other stuff, then all bets are off. I've seen many corruptions in Word over the years from my writer/editor friend. I even rescued the text of an entire book for a church minister in the late 1990s from a Word corruption. We lost the formatting but recovered all the text and it went on to be published.

A thought for your title pages: make a jpg or png graphic that you drop in for most/all of it--but even then, mixing a graphic with text can create some unexpected results, especially if you treat it other than an "inline with text" arrangement.

Based on my now-more-limited use of a word processor, so far, I do think that Word 2010 is the most stable version yet, especially running under Windows 7, but I'm trying to wean myself from the MS products and am using LO far more and with fine results. There are enough differences in menu structure/ways of doing things (though not as much as between Word 2003 and Word 2007) in LO/OOO that I'd prefer not to go back and forth.

However, if you work in a Word environment--as I tell my writer/editor friend--your best bet is using the same version of Word as your client is using. My favourite version of Word is 2003, as it is the one I've used the most and know the best.

Cheers,

Richard