Suddenly today I can't get an "open dialog". Neither by clicking on
the folder/open icon in the toolbar,
nor clicking on "Open Ctrl+O" in the File menu, nor using the keyboard
shortcut "Ctrl+O".

I can open files with
$ /opt/libreoffice3/program/swriter somefile.odt

or by opening a file manager (pcmanfm in this case) and right clicking
and choosing libreoffice as the program to use,
and, I can open documents in the "recent documents" list in the
open/file menu submenu by clicking on them,
but can not get a dialog to seek and open files in any of the
libreoffice components (scalc, swriter, etc).

This is with Beta 1 on Debian/Lenny.

I tried to install the Beta2 this afternoon, after having this issue,
but there were dependency problems that were not clear.
I'm assuming because it wants gnome (?) and I don't have gnome on my
system, and I'm not going to install gnome, either (using openbox).
Might have been glibc2?

Ctrl+O and/or clicking the menu or toolbar icon all worked fine as
recently as yesterday.
In fact, I've been successfully using LibreOffice since the day it was
publicly announced, quite happily and without any difficulty whatever.

Also, and I believe this is significant, when I try to get an open
dialog by any of the above means, nothing visibly occurs,
however, it appears that soffice.bin is going batshite crazy under the hood.
Even after closing the gui, it is spinning around and using mad
quantities of memory and cpu until I kill it, like it's really, really
trying
to give me an open dialog, and sweating like mad in the attempt, but
just never gets it up.

I had not made an alterations or updates to my system or libreoffice
in the last week, prior to seeing this problem
Today, as mentioned, I tried to installed the beta2 update, unsuccessfully.
I then removed and reinstalled the beta 1, but that doesn't seem to
have made any difference, either.

I find this all rather odd, and, as one might imagine, rather
disconcerting, as being able to open a dialog to seek and open files
is rather important.  I do not, however, know how to diagnose or
resolve the issue, and, thus, seek your assistance.

Thanks,
Tony

--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com