On Sun Oct 31 2010 14:58:51 GMT-0700 (PDT)  Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
On 10/31/2010 09:55 PM, Michel Gagnon wrote:
can assure you that OpenOffice was never able to save in pptx format.
Would you, by any chance, have saved the presentation with PowerPoint
2007?

No chance, because I don't even have it.

 > Maybe Matteo was typing in the extension as .pptx?

That does have some chance....

I assumed it was saved as an _actual_ pptx because I could open it with Archive Manager and see some XML files in it, which is what I expected a pptx to look like; but I now realize that odp files also look like that (not exactly the same though).

So I _may_ have typed in the .pptx extension and assumed that it was choosing the file format based on extension.

However I _don't_ think so, because I've just tried it, and if I simply type somefile.pptx as the file name, it automatically adds an odp extension and saves it as somefile.pptx.odp (both with OOo and LO), and I am categorically sure that I didn't rename the file to pptx after saving.

There is the chance that you had the "Automatic file name extension" unchecked. If the is the case the ODP extension would not have been used, just saved in that format.