Hi Eric, :-)

This is, of course, something that occurs in Writer (sorry, I forgot
to say). I've noticed this behavior ever since I've used OOo (2.x.x
onwards) on Windows and Linux (I currently use Ubuntu 10.10 with OOo
3.2).

It's true that the toolbars' reappearance in a default position rather
than where the user last placed them could be construed as a bug.

But the ability to durably hide them would be a useful feature IMHO.

This is not happening for everyone?

David Nelson