On 2023-10-12 16:32, martin f krafft wrote:
Regarding the following, written by "LO.Harald.Berger@t-online.de" on 2023-10-12 at 19:11 Uhr +0200:
You can edit this document, usually "Untitled1", and save it again as a new document template.
See also: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Videos/Document_Templates_in_Writer

Yeah, I am aware of that. It's not what I am looking for.

I guess I am thinking more like HTML templating. For instance, let's say I have a base template,
which defines a couple of fundamental paragraph styles, a first page, and a default page style, and
appropriate headers and footers for each.

Now I want to create two new templates: invoices and letters. Both of those are not concerned with
fundamental styles or headers and footers. They just fill the main page area differently.

Hence my thinking is that ideally, the Invoice template should inherit from the Basic template in
such a way that if I make a change to the headers/footers in the basic template, the invoice
template automatically updates itself.

… I don't think this is possible… yet? If so, then why stop there? Why are templates instantiated
and then filled? Why not render a document in the context of a template, and only store in the
document what is required to do so, rather than duplicate everything that's already in the template?

Documents and templates as cascading style sheets? Hmm...