Regular expressions (regex) are a challenge to get your mind around. Your
need seems to be straight forward so there's not a lot to absorb to use
regex for this case.

Open the "Find & Replace" dialog.

In the "Find:" field enter "[:digit:]" without the quotes.

In the "Replace:" field put whatever you'd like to replace EACH digit with.

Tick "Regular expressions" in "Other options".

The regex given will find each individual digit no matter what it is and
replace it with whatever is in the "Replace:" field.

In essence, it is giving that wildcard you want for numbers.

If you want to experiment some with regex, branching out from the above,
check the LO regular expression webpage.
https://help.libreoffice.org/6.2/en-US/text/shared/01/02100001.html

I hope this is what you are looking for.