Hi Dave,

I was trying to use mail merge in LO. The documentation (7.1, but I
have 7.4) has some errors/omissions.

Which documentation did you use exactly?
And, if using LO 7.4 - isn't there a newer documentation available as documentation for LO 7.1?
https://documentation.libreoffice.org/en/english-documentation/

-  Step 6. The text says to click Finish once the connection is
tested. Actually, you need to select the correct sheet prior to
Finish. Sometimes there will be more than one sheet with addresses.

This won't appear if there is only on sheet. You need to select it if there are more sheets. Could be you are missing this hint?
-
Step 10. "Click Finish. The data source is now registered." I get an
error that says the file already exists - overwrite it?

There is already registered a database with the name you have choosen. Could be you are running through the process a second time.
Look at Tools → Options → LibreOffice Base → Databases
Default for a database for addresses is "Addresses". Default name of this database is "Addresses.odb", which might be created in your document directory.

Clicking Help
gets another error saying the page does not exist. So, what do I do
here???

File a bug if there is a buttonb vor "Help" and no help is available.

Regards

Robert
--
Homepage: https://www.familiegrosskopf.de/robert