Hi Dave,

the size of a frame is specified in Writer by the frame style "Frame" in the sidebar ( F5 ). You can make all relevant presettings (width, centered, circulation) in the style.
I would leave the height of the frame at "Automatic".
If you need the frame frequently, you should save this file with the new frame style and blank page 1-1 as document template (possibly set as default template).

See also: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Videos/Frame_in_Writer

Best Regards
Harald