From the help COUNTA(Number 1 [; Number 2 [; … [; Number 255]]]) where*Number 1*, *Number 2*, ..., *Number 255* are numbers, references to cells or to cell ranges of numbers.

 * The function counts numbers, dates, error values(Err:502), logical
   values (like TRUE ) or a text representation of numbers (like "7")
   passed either as arguments or a reference to the cells or as an
   array however, empty cells in the reference are not counted.

In your case ISBLANK=0 is seen as Number 2 which is a logical value and so is counted as 1.

Steve