Actually, you DID understand my question.  And I discovered, after submitting the question, that the tab spaces DID underline and I ended up using that solution in this case.  But I still wanted to understand how to move the line appropriately since I do at times have need of lines where underlining won't work.

I've been using LO for MANY years and early on (perhaps it was before the split with OpenOffice) tab spaces didn't underline.  I stupidly just assumed it still worked that way.  Egg on my face.

But I really appreciate the support from this group!

Carl