I am reformatting some documents to a larger print size. This involves
changing layout of pages and the requirement to perform some operations on
images. For each image, I need to turn off wrap, change the anchor point
from paragraph to character and then align middle to anchor.

Are you doing this via the right-click menu? I do mods like this in the
dialog box, and I have not experienced this issue, using a very similar
LO6.4.7.2 and a variant of ubuntu 18.04 and another system with LO6.4.7.2
and a variant of ubuntu 20.04.

With right clicks, I did see the view shifting, but not like you say all
the way to the bottom.  With the dialog box, it seems to shift less, but it
all happens at once if you're making multiple changes... you don't apply
until you have all the settings right.

And by "dialog box" I mean right click on the image then choose the
"properties" item on the menu (last one).  The dialog box that appears has
all the settings in the right click menu and more.