Greetings,

The semicolon is used as my separator because my locale (Canadian
French) wants decimal commas.
In such a case, the list separator is changed to the semicolon to
remove the chance of conflict between a number (1 1/2 is written as 1,5
and not 1.5) and its position in the list. The same applies to formulas
where numbers can be used as arguments in a list, so the argument
separator becomes the semicolon.

As John rightfully pointed out, one can change the separator used, but
in my case the comma is really not an option.

This is purely a display artifact because I can share Calc files
regardless of the separator used: if you open one of "my" Calc files,
your separator will be used, and vice-versa.

I hope this helps.
Rémy.