Hi Johnny,

On 2021/05/28 23:44, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
Den fre 28 maj 2021 kl 22:49 skrev Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) <
hylton@conacher.co.za>:

Hi,

I have LO 7.0.6.2 and am battling with understanding which formula to
use as well as the syntax for that formula.

I am aware of the availability of vlookup, hlookup, Index/Match formula
and have settled I think on the right one i.e. Index/Match

Below is a portion of my spreadsheet that is divided as below with a
blank column between each year. What I want to calculate is the date the
Max rain occurred. I am OK with the formula to obtain the MAX but I need
help in constructing a formula to get the corresponding date.

I had though the best would be Index and Match but no matter how I enter
it I cannot get the date listed under the Date column of 2020 or 2021,
never mind actually retrieving the year from the same column as the date
the originated.

=INDEX(a1:h14;MATCH(h3;a3:h3;0)) just gives me 01/01 for the first date
under Highest Monthly

Strange. I give a completely different result, so obviously my spreadsheet
isn't identical to yours.
In which cell did you put this formula and what result did you expect?

I have looked aver tutorial and their mothers trying to find out what
ranges to insert into the Index(Match()) formula with ZERO success.

I am manually entering the dates under each year when the max value is
revealed by my formula. Would love to have it automated but my entire
spreadsheet covers over 400 rows and more than 52 columns resulting in
26 tabs of graphs from the Data sheet.

Is my data in the wrong order i.e. should the rainfall value column be
before the Date it occurred?

I do not understand what ranges need to consist of when using Index/Match.

Can someone point me to a decent tutorial explaining the different terms
i.e. Reference, Row, Column, Range, Search Criterion, Lookup array.

2020                    2021                    Highest Monthly
Date    2020 Rain       Date    2021 Rain       Date            Rain
01/19   9,5             01/15   3               2020/01/19      9,5
02/16   1,5             02/14   3,5             2021/02/14      3,5
03/25   3,5             03/14   19              2021/03/14      19
04/11   20              04/26   7               2020/04/11      20
05/28   27,5            05/20   43              2021/05/20      43
06/11   26              #N/A    0                               0
07/09   85,5            #N/A    0                               0
08/28   35              #N/A    0                               0
09/02   21              #N/A    0                               0
10/28   15              #N/A    0                               0
11/06   25              #N/A    0                               0
12/26   2               #N/A    0                               0

If you want the entire spreadsheet it is available on direct request,
but ultimately I would like to understand how it works.

This will at least enable to use the formula successfully on newer
versions on LO.

Regards
Hylton

I'm not sure what you are trying to do here, so I'll just guess. Just
ignore me if I'm totally wrong.
So first, I tried to create a spreadsheet following the text above, so this
is what my spreadsheet looks like:
Row 1 and two are just headers.
Column A is dates for 2020 formatted as Month/Day.
Column B is amount of rain in some unit, not sure which one, so I assume
mm, since that's what we use where I live, and it doesn't matter for this
question anyway.
Column C is empty.
Column D is dates for 2021 formatted as Month/Day.
Column E is the amount of rain for 2021.
Column F is empty.
Column G is the column that contains the dates for each month for the
respective year with the highest amount of rain, and it's also the column
that you wish to automate, is that right?
Column H is the highest value of rain in columns B and E for each row.

Right so far?

If so, you want column G to display the date for each maximum value in the
B and E column per row, right? Column H  is already figured out, so for
instance, H3 contains the following:
=MAX(B3;E3)

Then you want to automatically display the datum of which this occured, or
just the year? Well, date or year is only a question about formatting, so
let's just leave it to be formatted later. I guess you know how to do cell
formats and styles anyway.
maybe I totally misunderstood the question, but if not, you don't need
neither INDEX nor MATCH for this. Here's my cell formula in G3, for
instance:
=IF(B3>E3;A3;D3)
So it there was more rain in 2020 than in 2021, display the date in column
A, otherwise display the date in column D.
If you want to fill further down to future dates and only show the values
when the rest of the row is completely entered, you could add another test,
like this:
=IF(OR(A3="";B3="";D3="";E3="");"";IF(B3>E3;A3;D3))
Then you could just fill down and only the relevant cells will display
something and the rest will be blank.
You can do the same thing to column H if you like, for instance in H3:
=IF(OR(A3="";B3="";D3="";E3="");"";MAX(B3;E3))

Sorry that this doesn't explain the MATCH() function, but I don't think
there's a reason to use that in this case. I might have misunderstood the
whole question, though. Did I?

You hit the nail on the head in terms of formatting and you are correct, I want to find the date values of the amounts listed in column H, ideally with the column heading too to show yyyy, but I could change the date format in A3:A15 and D3:d15 to include yyyy/mm/dd.

Thanks for also showing me the "" trick instead of using an IF statement and having to include a 0 if the criteria are not met.

So how would you calculate the date value in column G and be verbose with the explanation of the formula variables.

Regards
Hylton