Date: prev next · Thread: first prev next last
2021 Archives by date, by thread · List index

Hi Philip,
Le 28/05/2021 à 16:53, Philip Jackson a écrit :
Hi Sophi,

On 28/05/2021 11:09, sophi wrote:
Hi Philip,
Le 26/05/2021 à 20:40, Philip Jackson a écrit :
I want to make a new version of a book I wrote in Writer around 2016. My
master document has 16 chapters with 68 images linked in (as distinct
from embedded). The odt file is 6.4 MB and the images total another 5.4
MB, they are b&w line drawings in png format.

My standard practice which I've carried out many times over the last few
years (but not in the past year) is to make a copy of the master odt
file and then to break the links in that copy so that the images are
embedded. Then I save the file and move the copy to a new directory and
prepare the new edition.

This time, however, the link breaking doesn't work fully. To break the
links, I go Edit > 'Links to external files', highlight all the links
and click "Break link". Checking on Edit then shows 'Links to external
files' greyed out and right clicking on any image and checking the
properties doesn't show any path for the image. So all looks good and it
appears that the links have been broken and the images are now embedded.

After moving to a new directory, the first 7 chapters were ok but the
remainder showed missing images. Moving the file back to its original
directory got all the missing images back again and Edit > 'Links to
external files' showed that half the images were, in fact,  still

Various trials showed that breaking the links 1 or 2 at a time worked
(as did right-click on the image and then 'Replace'). Attempting to
break four or more links at a stroke appeared to work but saving,
closing and reopening the file (without even moving to a new directory)
show that the links are all still present.

I have repeated these trials many times using both LO on
UbuntuStudio 20.4.2 and also LO on Windows10. The result is
always as I've described above. So I don't suspect a fault in my
installations but I do wonder if something has changed within Writer
since I made my original file in 2016  relative to the linking process?

Has anyone else experienced problems in this area?
Could you report your experience on this issue and if possible provide a
test sample ?
Thanks in advance,
Kind regards

I've done as you asked and included a demo file with 14 linked images of
which roughly half get broken when I try to break all the links.

Thanks a lot! That will help to solve the issue

Sophie Gautier
GSM: +33683901545
IRC: sophi
Foundation coordinator
The Document Foundation

To unsubscribe e-mail to:
Posting guidelines + more:
List archive:
Privacy Policy:


Privacy Policy | Impressum (Legal Info) | Copyright information: Unless otherwise specified, all text and images on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. This does not include the source code of LibreOffice, which is licensed under the Mozilla Public License (MPLv2). "LibreOffice" and "The Document Foundation" are registered trademarks of their corresponding registered owners or are in actual use as trademarks in one or more countries. Their respective logos and icons are also subject to international copyright laws. Use thereof is explained in our trademark policy.