Interesting.  I never noticed the scan option before.

So I gave it a try.

Linux Mint 19.3, LO 6.0.73, Xsane 0.999 (graphic front end to SANE), Brother MFC-L3750 CDW.

Slow-ish but let me scan.

Device (Brother) doesn't support a preview but LO faked it. Set to 300 DPI, is scanned and inserted the image.

Rod