Date: prev next · Thread: first prev next last
2021 Archives by date, by thread · List index


I saw the problem when I tried to superscript. As far as I could tell,
there is no concept of "baseline" grid that text returns to... once you get
off the grid for whatever reason, it affects everything.

In order to work around this, I did 3 things:

1. I forced the entire document onto a grid:  enabling 'Register-true' for
every style (all 500ish of them.) they all register to 'm', except the
footnote set which registers to 'f'.

2. I also use a specific line spacing and not a percent or preset. I also
use only actual italic faces and not libreoffice created faces.

3. I also match the actual height of various styles within each document so
that the height of x and X are the same for all fonts by managing the
height with scaling factors.  Libreoffice only has Y scaling as a function
of superscript so to match fonts most of my styles declare themselves
"superscript" then scale by a few percent.

Some examples are here:

I think all the fonts in these templates are available from Google Drive,
but possibly you'll have to find some from other places... they're all open
licensed fonts.

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 3:54 PM John <> wrote:

When I type a line with italics in it the line spacing seems to
change.  At the moment the page is set to proportional 100% and the
font size is 12 pt for all characters on the line. With only "normal"
characters the lines are evenly spaced and the page looks nice.

When there is italics within the text, additional space appears above
and/or below the line so the lines are no longer evenly spaced.  The
effect is to have a rather ragged page layout.

What it "looks like" is if LibreOffice has taken the outer boundary of
the character area and rotated it to create the italic effect and the
corners of the boundary have pushed the adjacent line up (or down or
both).  Probably not that but that is the visual effect.  Setting the
size of the italic characters to 11 pt makes everything look right
again.  The effect carries through to pdf files generated from the
.odt editor files.

A friend who has a different version of LibreOffice (an older one) has
been able to take my .odt files and convert to .pdf without having
this effect.

The font I am using (Garamond Pro) has an italic file included with it
although I can't prove that it is being used.

Can anyone suggest how I caused this and what I should do to fix it?

LibreOffice running on Fedora 32 Workstation edition.



To unsubscribe e-mail to:
Posting guidelines + more:
List archive:
Privacy Policy:

To unsubscribe e-mail to:
Posting guidelines + more:
List archive:
Privacy Policy:


Privacy Policy | Impressum (Legal Info) | Copyright information: Unless otherwise specified, all text and images on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. This does not include the source code of LibreOffice, which is licensed under the Mozilla Public License (MPLv2). "LibreOffice" and "The Document Foundation" are registered trademarks of their corresponding registered owners or are in actual use as trademarks in one or more countries. Their respective logos and icons are also subject to international copyright laws. Use thereof is explained in our trademark policy.