On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 03:17:38 -0500
John Kaufmann <kaufmann@nb.net> wrote:

This is a meta-question about help for LibreOffice questions.

(1) LibreOffice has a comprehensive array of mailing lists

[snip]

(2) There is another great resource, the AskLibO system
<https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/>.

[snip]

(a) With that context, here is my question, essentially comparing the
communities in the mailing list <users@global.libreoffice.org> and
the AskLibO forum <https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/>: There are some
really thoughtful people in both communities, but [with notable
exceptions] most do not seem to mix from one to the other, though
both communities cover the same scope of questions. It makes sense
that people are not active in both places: there are limited hours in
the day. But I'm never sure where is the best place to ask a use
question, and at the same time would like to pay back something in
the form of information to whichever community I use. How do others
handle that issue?

I can only speak for myself, although I suspect others also think
similarly. I prefer the medium of mailing lists to that of forums in
general. It may be to do with previous experience and age in general.
So I use mailing lists whenever they are available, and forums only if
I must. Hence I subscribe to this list, and ask questions here when I
need to and otherwise use a search engine to find relevant pages on the
web, which might include hits on the forums.

[snip]