All:

How does one construct an .OTM document?

I found the justification for including it in ODF 1.2, and who pushed
for its inclusion in LibO 4.4, and who wrote the LibO code. But narry a
word anywhere on how to create the document.

Reading source code is all very well, but it doesn't contain any hints
about how to create it.  It did provide pointers in how to disable
importing it.

Reading the original proposal --- not the one from RedHat --- one senses
that there was a very low expectation that any otm documents would be
created.

In as much as the item at
https://extensions.libreoffice.org/en/english/show/a-master-document-template
does not utilize the otm file format, it can not be legitimately
described as a master document template.

#####

At this stage, I'd settle for a sample.otm.

jonathon