LO 6.3.4.2, Xubuntu 18.04, downloaded from LO, not from the
repositories.

I have a small bitmap graphic that I sized to be the width of the first
line of a paragraph, to which first line indent style is applied. I
modified the style to make the first line indent 21.6 pt.

I created a caption for the graphic to be below it. As far as I can
tell the paragraph style for a caption is Figure. After creating the
caption (several lines high) I wanted its entire left margin to be 21.6
pt, but it appeared to be about 35 pt or so. I had to manually set the
left margin of the caption to be 11 pt in order to make it appear at
21.6 pt. This makes no sense to me.

Worse, there is a space between the caption and the image above it, as
well as a space between the caption and the following text, and this
space is too tall. I looked at the Figure style and it was set to place
6 pt above and below, but changing them both to 0 made no difference.
None of the regular text has anything but 0 in the paragraph settings
for space above or below.

I think there is something fundamental about the spacing for captions
that I don't understand. Can someone give me a clue?