Hi Harvey,

Harvey Nimmo schrieb am 31-May-20 um 21:16:
Hello Regina,

Thanks for taking the trouble to offer help.

Perhaps if I describe my 'case' it will help to see where I am coming
from. I wanted to define a header for each page that is either a
copy of the previous header or a new one.

The application in my current case is collection of handwritten court
papers (from 1813) that I want to transcribe. The originals are in
jpeg. Some are just single sheets, some sheets are left and right pages
together, some are just snippets. Obviously the order is
important, and the source names of the jpeg files serve very well as a
header that should not of itself belong the the transcription text.
hence my simple requirement.

It was a deliberate choice to try to use the header feature (rather
than headings within the body of the text) because it made sense to me
to keep the metadata (i.e. file names of each sheet) separate from the
actual content of each sheet. In the end, I would have a complete LO
text document in which each page was headed with the file name to
identify its source and a page full of text showing the textual content
of each sheet. The resulting document would evidently contain 29 pages
with about 20 different headers.

I would go with true headings of style 'Heading 1' or other styles with outline level 1.

Start each transcribing of a document on a new page and put the heading as very first paragraph on that page.

Then you can add a field to the header. It will show this heading until it comes to a new page with a different heading. That way you only need one page style for all. To get the needed field open the Fields dialog by Ctrl+F2. In tab "Document" select item "Chapter". You likely need format "Chapter name".

If you do not like having a file name as heading, you can fake hiding it. Set the font size to 2pt and the font color to white.

Using true headings has the advantage, that you can generate a table of contents and you can generate a tagged PDF.

To get "Table of contents" in the header, set the outline level of style "Contents Headings" to "Level 1" and make sure, that the table of contents starts on a new page.

From content, I would not use a file name, but would use a short text, that describes the source. I like the idea from Drew to insert a caption to each image. Such caption would be a good place for the reference to the source of the image and - as Drew mentioned - allows to generate a "Table of Figures". Here you would need to set style "Figure Index Heading" to outline level "Level 1" to get the correct text into the header.

Kind regards
Regina