On Mon, 30 Dec 2019 09:48:40 +0100
Heiko Tietze <heiko.tietze@documentfoundation.org> dijo:

Do you scale the UI for some reason, eg. font size 125%?

Sort of. Different parts are set with varying methods. However,
percentages are never used except in web browsers. Fonts are set with
points. Icons and most other matters are set with pixels.

I could scale the entire thing by changing the resolution with xrandr,
e.g., from the native 3840x2160 down to 1920x1080. But why? I didn't
pay for a 4K monitor to run it at 2K.

The problem is that the desktop environment (I use Xfce) has at least
two different settings for icon size, and half a dozen for point size
of text. For example, the window title bar text is one setting, toolbar
text is another setting (which LO does not always respect, by the way),
body text is another setting, and so on.

Although I now have the Styles and Formatting toolbar visible, LO fails
to respect the line spacing of the desktop environment. And someone
decided to hard-code the spacing as a number of pixels for the main
toolbar so, since I had to set the toolbar text big enough to see, the
items appear somewhat smashed together:
FileEditInsertFormatTableToolsLinguisticsWindowHelp.
[Edit: This issue seems to have been resolved with LO
6.3.4.2.] LO is not the only application where column widths are
hard-coded as a number of pixels; I have the same problem with a few
other applications. And many applications, including LO, hard-code the
icon size in toolbars, so the icons are 2-3mm high. For example, in the
Styles and Formatting toolbar I have to hover over an icon to read its
tool-tip in order to know what the icon does. And someone coded the
Styles and Formatting window to be an application window instead of a
toolbar window, so 'Styles and Formatting' is the same point size as
the main window. It all works, it just looks weird.

That's enough of a rant. I'll shut up now. :)