The problem is to make the document work in the MS Office Writer package by the user.

I wanted to give him the option to edit the text part of the flier instead of me doing the edits and then send back to him a PDF, the more edits.

If he could do the edits himself, it would be easier on both of us.  Time constraints can get into the way for the emailing back and forth for the needed edits. He needed the flier out in the next couple of days, to get the printer to have it ready in time to get it out for over a week before the event happens.

I cut my teeth with Corel Draw, but not have Inkscape on both my Ubuntu and Windows systems.  He would not have access to it.

If I cannot do it in LO, or do not know how, I switch to Inkscape and maybe GIMP.  As for plain SVG formats, I have no way to know if MSO can handle it the way I need it to be done.