On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 21:02:10 +0200, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:

When using the experimental features in Basic I can declare thing in a more
specific way, for instance:

*Dim SomeSheet As com.sun.star.sheet.XSpreadsheet*
Without the experimental features enabled, I had to write this instead:
*Dim SomeSheet As Object*

Is there a way to find out for sure what type some object is supposed to be?
For instance, if I use Object instead and then look at it with XRay, in the
field just above the big field with all the
properties/methods/services/etc, it says *com.sun.star.sheet.XSpreadsheet*,
so that could be a clue, but it doesn't seem to always be usable.
For instance, when declaring a range, XRay says
*com.sun.star.table.XCellRange*, but declaring it like that won't work.
*com.sun.star.sheet.XSheetCellRange* will. How can I figure this out?

At the moment I'm struggling with a search descriptor. XRay says
*com.sun.star.util.XSearchDescriptor*, but that only throws an error at
*SomeRange.createSearchDescriptor()*.

In case anyone wonders why I'm not just declaring it as *Object*, the
answer is because I want to learn these experimental features. I'm not
solving some kind of problem with it at the moment, just trying to learn
about it, which is hard since I can't find any examples, since everybody
declare everything as *Object* and *Variant*…

I'm obviously looking at this the completely wrong way. Is anyone able to
point me in the right direction somehow?
I'm not a coder, so pointing me to the source code is meaningless. I
wouldn't understand anything of it, or at least not quickly enough to not
just give up.

For use a type variable, this type should be "exposed" in the core, by example:

Dim s As String
Dim SomeSheet As com.sun.star.sheet.XSpreadsheet

But, if the type it's not present in core, you always get: "Unknown data", for example:

Dim sd As com.sun.start.util.SearchDescriptor

For this cases, we used Object.

Now, some objects, only can be instance from other objects, like SearchDescriptor

Dim sd As Object

        doc = ThisComponent
        sd = doc.createSearchDescriptor()

I hope clarify your question, and I hope have understand your question.

Best regards