Strange, when I create a square image, I can shift+drag to resize the image symmetrically. This is using 6.3.1.2. In my case, I released the mouse button *before* shift. I did this with a corner and both sides (top and bottom). The order of which (shift, mouse) is released does matter when using anyone of the sides. It does not matter when using the corner. Release shift before the mouse produces a rectangle. Releasing the mouse first produces a larger square.

Dan