I using LibreOffice (version 6.1.2.3) Base as client to a backend
Mariadb10 via MySQL(JDBC) connector.

I have a created a Query in Base of the form SELECT * FROM <tablename>
ORDER BY <Field1> ASC, <Field2> ASC

Why MUST these two sort fields be set to 'visible' in the query (thus
extending the above syntax accordingly), since they are any case part
of the source table? The columns appear twice in the opened query?

I have created a Form based on the above query. However, on filling out
the form for a new record and saving the data, a new record is created
in the table but the data of above two fields remain blank, i.e. are
NOT transferred to the source table. The two fields in the source table
remain blank, whereas all other fields are filled as expected.

Are these two aspects related? Should this be the behaviour? I would
not have expected the data from the two fields to be rejected.

Cheers
Harvey