You wouldn't believe how simple this was to fix!

I considered doing the complete removal then re-installation but what put me off that was it wanted to remove gnome for some reason. Even removing just some of the components dragged gnome with it, and I am not keen on using linux without a desktop environment.

I had a spare log-in profile  already, and LO works in that profile. The thought of using one log-in to access software installed on a different log-in just seems too prone to messing up, but at least I knew there was an option there.

In the end, I thought about it and realised that it is only templates that are the issue here, so let's examine the templates issue.

I looked at the Path options in Tools-Options-Libre Office- Paths. It appears that for some reason LO had added my home directory as a path for templates, as well as the default path. I deleted the home directory, recreated the template folder in my config folder then copied my templates back in and now it's all working.

Thank you for all the suggestions

Keith