Hi :)
I just click on the save button or on;

File - Save As

Job done.

I'm not sure what the problem is.  Is it that someone using Microsoft
Office can't see the file you have created?  Microsoft is usually blind and
unable to cope with standards, even 'standards' of it's own devising.
Using LibreOffice, Google-docs, OpenOffice or any other office program you
should be able to easily see the file you created.

With the File - Save As route a dialogue box pops up.  Near the bottom of
the dialogue-box, just above it's own Save button, there is an option to
choose format.  By default it says "All formats" but actually just saves it
in native .Ods format.  Amongst the other formats it offers are the
unreliable, ever changing Microsoft formats such as .Xlsx and their older
format .Xls.  There is also a format specifically for proper Templates, and
an equivalent for Microsoft Office templates.

My old boss used to talk about making a template but he really meant just a
normal file, in an MS format, that he would then overwrite and forget to
keep an unfilled copy of anywhere.  Having an actual proper template would
confuse him and he'd delete it.

In much the same way he kept using the term "double entry" to mean a
mistake where someone had entered the same thing twice instead of using it
the way accountants and bookkeepers have been using it for the last several
hundred years.  Presumably he thought an advert for a "double-entry
bookkeeper" was because companies were really keen to employ someone who
made a LOT of mistakes!

If you really mean a proper template then Chapter 3 of the "Getting Started
Guide";
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications
(or scroll down further to Chapter 4 of the "Calc Guide") might help.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/8/83/GS6003-StylesAndTemplates.pdf
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/e/e8/CG4104-StylesAndTemplates.pdf

There are pre-made templates at;
https://extensions.libreoffice.org/templates
which you can adapt and use, or just use as they are, for free.

Here's an extremely brief bit of help about templates;
https://help.libreoffice.org/Writer/Creating_a_Document_Template
but it's probably better to go with one (or both) of the chapters above
because they have a lot more information to skim through.

Good luck and many regards from
a Tom :)

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 at 17:52, Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com>