Drew,
Thanks. You have saved me from more hopeless effort.
Lou

On 12/4/18 5:02 AM, Drew Jensen wrote:
Howdy Lou,

OK, so first thing. Base does not support updating data in Views (postgres
or any other database backend).

Second thing, the order of your columns in a table definition in a
relational database is meaningless for the most part. I know that the Base
Table viewer doesn't allow you to rearrange them, but it should.

Third, what the table viewer doesn't do, the grid control in forms does, so
If you want to see your table in a column (grid) view and with the columns
in a different order than what is in the table definition and you want to
update that data you can use a form.
Start with just a single table. Use the form wizard to create a form based
on the table and select the default grid control for the data. (easiest way
is to just start the wizard, select a table and click Done) With the
physical form opened in edit mode click on the 'Design mode' button on the
form toolbar, you will see the data in the grid control, now you can use
the mouse to move columns around by dragging them, you can expand or
condense the width of columns and change the display formatting for
columns. When you have the columns arranged as you like you save the form
and that will be the default view of the table layout when you open the
form normally going forward.

Fourth - if you need to update data in two tables Base does have limited
support, but again not using Views, with queries. You join the tables
there, include all the keys from both tables in the result set along with
other columns you want to edit and be sure the query runs with the designer
mode enabled in query builder. In those case the resultset should capable
of updates. Otherwise the use of a form-subform using the two tables
certainly will be.

Hope that helps,

Drew