Date: prev next · Thread: first prev next last
2018 Archives by date, by thread · List index

Remy Gauthier wrote:

I have been trying to experiment with the "spell out" numbering styles
in Writer. To setup my document, I went to Tools -> Chapter Numbering,
and selected "One, two, three..." for Numbering with Heading 1 at level
1, and "First, Second, Third" for Numbering with Heading 2 at level 2.
I then went to an empty document, set the style of the first line to
"Heading 1", and the style of the second line to "Heading 2". My
document now looks like this:

1<tab>Some text here
Ordinal-number 1<tab>Some text here

I was expecting something more along the lines of:

One<tab>Some text here
First<tab>Some text here

On Linux Mint, using LibreOffice from the LibreOffice PPA, I get what you expect:
  One Some text here
  First Some text here

If I change the document language (Tools > Language > For All Text) to French, the numbering text changes to French:
  Un Some text here
  Premier Some text here
(I don't understand much French, but that looks about right to me)

Also works for Greek, even though I don't have a Greek language pack installed (no spellchecking available):
  Ένα Some text here
  Πρώτος Some text here
(I assume the text is correct!)

But for some other languages (e.g. Gaelic), I do get what you're seeing:
  1 Some text here
  Ordinal 1 Some text here

The same seems to be happening with the page numbering (Style -> Page
tab -> page Number), where I still get numbered page numbers as opposed
to "spelled out" page numbers.

For me, page numbering also works as you expect, the same as chapter numbering.

My defaut LANG setting is fr_CA.utf8, and the behavior is exactly the
same with en_US.utf8, or just "C". Running LO on Fedora 27,
downloaded from the LO site.

I'm on Linux Mint, using LibreOffice from the LibreOffice PPA. LANG is en_GB.UTF-8.

What am I missing?

Sorry, I can't see anything obvious, other than the difference in distro. As far as I know, the PPA version is based on unmodified LibreOffice sources, but maybe there's something included in the PPA packages but not the RPMs which makes it work for me. Perhaps someone else will have some suggestions...


To unsubscribe e-mail to:
Posting guidelines + more:
List archive:
Privacy Policy:


Privacy Policy | Impressum (Legal Info) | Copyright information: Unless otherwise specified, all text and images on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. This does not include the source code of LibreOffice, which is licensed under the Mozilla Public License (MPLv2). "LibreOffice" and "The Document Foundation" are registered trademarks of their corresponding registered owners or are in actual use as trademarks in one or more countries. Their respective logos and icons are also subject to international copyright laws. Use thereof is explained in our trademark policy.