Hi Robert
I don't *think* a replacement font is happening  - though i'm no expert. I can start a new text
document which starts with liberation serif and enter u+a723 followed by   alt+x and get the
character ok. So unless font substitution occurs automatically, transparently and with absolutely
no indication, with LO searching all loaded fonts until it finds one with the character...... maybe
it does that, but it would seem to me to be undesirable because what if more than one loaded font
had the character, on what basis would the choice be made? Surely, that's something the document
author ought to decide. But how would the author know that a replacement was necessary at all? Or
maybe it's different in windows and ubuntu?
I haven't a clue.
Best,
/G.