Why not snap you ask - I can understand you favouring that solution when you
are familiar with Snap, however I am not. I only discovered the Flatpak
concept a week ago when I stumbled across the Flatpak category in the
Software Manager of a new installation of Mint 19. It took a while to
understand and appreciate what it is and I don't want to give up on it so
quickly. (It did not take me long to appreciate when I found that with a
single click it could install a later version of Handbrake than in the
normal repository, and that could transcode PCM audio which the earlier
version of Handbrake was not detecting)

Additionally, the end product is for someone else who would like to have the
latest versions of software - particularly Writer, but needs the system and
updates to be as simple as possible and so I'd like to avoid using any extra
software sources.

 If Snap was the only solution and Flatpak rubbish then I'd jump at it for
my own use but I've used Mint ever since Ubuntu brought out their abominable
Unity desktop and Mint has been fantastically easy and reliable and I expect
there will be a simple solution without abandoning Flatpak.