When I removed LibreOffice 6.0.3 from my Ubuntu 18.04 system, and then installed 6.0.5, the first time I opened a ODT document, it showed the ebook library package "Calibre" as the default package to open the ODT document.

SO, any ideas why after removing 6.0.3 and then installing the newest version 6.0.5 would not assign ODT files to Writer?  I know Calibre will convert between types of documents/books, but never knew about ODT files - if it does at all.  I know that once last year, when I installed a different package that could open the ODT file AFTER I installed the newest version of LibreOffice. I had to re-install that version of LO to get the file properties to list the correct packages.

Of course, today I just took one ODT file and changed the default package for it, which hopefully change it for all of the ODT files.

Still, how come I had the problem in the first place.  Shouldn't the install of LibreOffice on Ubuntu-Mate 18.04LTS grab the package preference for each of the default office file type? Both ODF and MS Office?  It should, right?

If this "not associating file types" during install is a bug, then it needs to be fixed.  I think people who have a good skill set, for both Windows and Linux, should know how to "manually" set the file association to the correct package/program.  The problem to me is those who are not as skilled, who find this broken association and "freak out".

I know many here in my apartment building who would "freak out" and then ask me to help them. I know more in the community who barely know how to install a package using Windows and a self-running CD/DVD, let alone being able to download the proper version of LibreOffice for their system, and then install it.